Saturday, September 8, 2007

Fatigue: it's not just for camoflage anymore

Here I am on the upswing of the time between treatments and I'm feeling great. It's been a challenging week this last week in that the fatigue has taken me to the mat a couple times (Pin! Ooh, that was a sneaky move!) but I am rested and ready for the next session of chemo with a new drug, Taxol.

I had the best laugh at myself on Thursday. I had my blinker on to move into the right lane when out of nowhere a black car with tinted windows breezes past on my right. I said out loud to the mystery driver in such a hurry- and I'd like to say that I don't usually talk to myself out loud- "Where do you think you're going?" and then with a tone of self-satisfaction just seconds later when I see him get boxed in up ahead "Well, I guess nowhere fast!".

Then I realized that I'd turned into a crabby person whose Driving School was holding open enrollment and laughed and laughed to the point of tears at what the lack of sleep will do to a person. Naps, with all their virtues, which I have extolled herein, are really like snacks: tasty as they are you can't make a meal out of them. Thankfully these last few nights have been good, solid sleep nights and I'm feeling myself again.

One of the things I've come to clearly understand through this unexpected journey is that sleep is critically important to my state of mind. I am myself when I've had enough sleep; without it I'm not my best me.

This week, with the cumulative lack of sleep and fatigue which set in, it was a challenge to remain positive. My positive self said 'We're going to be positive if it's the last thing we do!' and the tired self said with a grin 'Well, it'll be the last thing you do.'. When I'm tired and find the doubt and fear starting to worm their way into my thoughts I remind myself that that is the tired talking and not the real me.

A big thank you to my Aunt Verlinda and Uncle Rich for sending such a beautiful and perfectly-timed card. There have been so many lovely cards from so many people! This arrived mid-week when I was feeling unsure of myself for the coming Monday treatment which, because of the change in drugs, had brought up some fear and trepidation in me. The card stated simply: "You can do it. You have everything you need right inside of you." And how true that is! I can do it. And I will do it. I have - as we all do - everything I need right inside of me. What a powerful thought to know that is true.

This sort of synchronicity has been happening quite a bit this week. I had been thinking a lot about the story of the Little Engine that Could and its simple message of how what you believe is what you will do. It's something I believe to be true: where the mind goes the body will follow.

I ran out to do an errand one evening this week and just as I got into the car the radio program on MPR was talking about trains of some sort. They ended the segment by playing this song- and I swear it was sung by Berle Ives- from "The Little Engine that Could". It goes something like "I think I can, I think I can... da da da dat da da... if you put your mind to it you'll be doing it before long..." and then ends with "I knew I could! I knew I could!". It was such amazing timing to hear that song when it was something I'd been tumbling around in my head.

Thanks to my friends Nicole, Galen and family for the beautiful piranha finger puppet with its sharp teeth and voracious appetite who will accompany me on the journey to the Mayo this Monday. The Amazonian piranhas, imported for the first half of the sessions, have done such outstanding work and I thank them from the bottom of my heart for their tenacity and bite. Now the new piranhas which have been flown in fresh from Paraguay (boy, are they sure hungry from their travels!) will come in and do their good work. It's going to be terrific!

Thank you to all of you for all your good thoughts and prayers as I begin the last four sessions of chemo on Monday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. I'm a long time lurker/first time blogger. Okay wrong media, but seemed to fit.

By the time you get this, you'll be on the backside of this treatment. Go, Taxol, go! Do your thing. No excuses. We're counting on it.

I have to say, I'm glad it was a black car, and not a red one. I've often scolded my husband Tom for speeding up to the red light. HA! If you know Tom & I, well...you know that isn't true.

Glad to hear you're getting some good full nights of sleep. While I too, love a good nap...an 8 or even 9 hour night with no break is the way to go. However, I have made a proposal to my boss to make naps mandatory. Siestas for everyone!

Hey, The Little engine That Could...was that John Denver? I used to have the book when I was a kid...and I remember an album my brother liked that was all about trains...I think it was John Denver.

Anyway...I'll stop this rambling. Just wanted you to know, Karen...that we're thinking of you. Daily...and on days like today, we're sending extra special thoughts your way. You'll get through this. You're an amazingly strong woman...and I love that you continue to display your absolutely fabulous sense of humor. You are a strong beautiful woman. You CAN do it.

Love, Amy...and Tom & Anna

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen!!
I just finished getting caught up on your blog entries. Tonight Pierre, the three girls and I are at Grandma's and Grandpa's house for their famous homemade pizza! YUM! I recommend stopping by on Saturday night if you are ever in Fargo! The pizza dough is made from Grandma Kelley's recipe. It is nice to have a little tradition to carry on to the kids.

I can't tell you how much I agree with you on the nap taking! I could take a nap at any given time during the day. Of course, with three girls, the napping usually eludes me. I often wonder how much of me is functioning properly. I actually am quite a bear if I have not gotten my 8 hours of sleep. I imagine the days when I will be able to nap (or sleep at night) without interruption. I have heard it won't happen often. Hopefully you will find some good nights of slumber soon and often!!

Noelle just accidentally swallowed a piece of hard candy and it got lodged in her throat. We gave her some water and milk, thinking it would help it go down. Unfortunately, it came up instead. At least it came out, and she seems to be feeling quite herself again now that I gave her a bath. Poor grandma was soaked! Sorry, I will spare you any more details.

Well, I wanted to let you know that I think of you often. All positive thoughts are sent to you tonight!!

Love, Sara

Anonymous said...

Karen (Dahling),
Janet and I think of you often and are so glad you could join us for a visir with our all-time favorite Australian on not one but two occasions! You are truly an inspiration.

Love,
Paul and Janet