Saturday, December 8, 2007

Proof Positive

From the beginning of this unplanned journey, Karen has said “Only good can come from this.” Prior to the surgery it seemed entirely plausible too. But there have been days since when it has been more challenging to believe this. Karen was having one of these days on Thursday when she asked me to write a blog entry this weekend. “I am not in the frame of mind to do it myself right now,” she said. Admittedly, I understood that frame of mind too, but I would do whatever I could to help my sister wage this war.

So I sat down this evening to write. I went to re-read Karen’s last post, but noticed instead that yesterday Dad quietly posted a comment to that post andI began reading there instead. By the time I reached the end, I knew who would be authoring this entry and once again had proof that “Only good can come from this.”

Anonymous said... December 07, 2007 4:00 PM

Hovering is not lurking. When one hovers, he holds the very large blanket of love. This very large blanket covers multitudes of people who come from all areas of the country. The blanket is heavy as well as being large. The blanket must continually be moved to ensure that it fully covers my beautiful daughter. This daughter is Karen Lynn Kelley. She is absolutely the best. This is a very proud parent, her father, who will give a glowing account of the journey.

A dad, a father, is a person who loves his family, especially his children. As a father, I have a very special spot for my girls. Girls represent many things that are the opposite of myself; i.e., soft, sweet, tender, dainty, pretty, good smelling, energetic, smart and lovable. I have come to gain a new and beautiful understanding of my daughter Karen. This new vision has opened my eyes to a side of Karen that I had failed to recognize. She has always had a smile that could light up a room and melt a glacier. This I know. What I am now realizing is that she has great strength, amazing in quantity and endurance. How could I not have known? I watched her grow and mature and yet my eyes must have been covered. Now I am able to see much better because I have taken the time to really listen and observe.

This awesome Karen knows how to always give her best. Never anything less that 110 per cent in all activities she undertakes. I watched her in the leading role in "The King and I" and it was amazing and beautiful....the pride and admiration was really there for me and so many others. Proof positive of ability combined with 110 per cent professional performance. This is the way she goes about life.

Another attribute that had come to my attention recently is Karen's unending concern for others. She will always ask friends how they are doing, what is going on in their lives and when they speak, she listens so intently and with much empathy. She always offers positive advice on situations presented to her by friends and family.

Karen has many talents. I did not know that she was such a good writer. I read the blog entries and am really impressed with her ability to put her thoughts into words. Awesome, just awesome! But this is only one area of her expertise. Karen is not the type of person to show up anyone else. In fact, she downplays her own talents. This is her style, and boy do I admire her for doing it "her way"! Karen has a certain way in dealing with people that elevates that person and brings out the very best in that person. Only positive people can elicit such responses in others.

And what about the strength of the bond between Karen and her sister, Janis. These two women contain so many skills, techniques, wisdom and respect that it is difficult to hide my pride in this pair of children. These daughters form a pair which is best described as inseparable. When watching them solve problems or order a basket or box of vegetables, it becomes very evident that this bond is the real thing. Nothing could make a father prouder or happier than to see how successful your daughters have become. Here is that pride again, justified, I'm sure.

Friends are so important and so priceless. All Karen's friends help in so many ways. Each friend helps me move that very large blanket of love around. You know who we are showering with love.

As we move forward on this journey, we have a lot to be thankful for: THE PLAN...it is the very best and it will be successful. THE MEDICAL TEAM...all of them are the very best. THE FAMILY...John, Margaret, Karen, Janis, Kyle all on the same page, all with a single goal in mind. We can do this! Who always uses this ditty and who first coined it---I guess you know! Karen. Her strength and commitment are unwavering. I never, ever knew about this side of her. She makes others around her so much stronger. She never gives less than her best and always brings out the best in anyone around her.

The voice of the family, friends and caring others in one loud, solid voice all say "we will kick this dirty little tumor into oblivion". Having the attitude that we will not let up until we prevail is the overpowering thought process that guarantees the best outcome.

Karen, you know where I stand, and with me are many, many others who so admire you and your strength and courage. Be assured you and I, we, will prevail and succeed.

With great love and admiration,

Your dad,

John Kelley

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it better myself, John "Dad" Kelley!

As one who has been the recipient of that beautiful, positive attitude on many occasions, I can't say enough thank yous for Karen's presence in my life. I would volunteer to run the fan club, but her family seems to have that well in hand.

What a beautiful tribute to a daughter who so deserves the best life has to offer.

Love you, Karen
Karen (2) Millar

Anonymous said...

K:

Hey, I hear that we just missed you on Sunday. Shirl & I did go over to Karen(2)'s place; we decided to not go sledding (since I didn't want to get sick again), but we did think that we would take up Karen(2) on her offer of hot chocolate and cookies. Wuencha know that no one else wanted to sled either, so Keith — errr, Kevin and Owen had gone off to go thrift-store shopping and Karen(2) was just puttering 'round the house by herself . . . no hot chocolate! No cookies!

So Karen(2) invited us to stay, and she whipped up impromptu hot chocolate. Later, the boys came home, and they overwhelmed us with all the great buys that they had snagged. And really, not all of it was kitsch.

We enjoyed our afternoon, but it wasn't the same not seeing you there, too.

On a similar note — how about that Saturday night bash we were all at? Everything was quite nummy, in terms of the food. What a great surprise to have Annakin come in the door with you! She certainly brightened up the evening with her goofy stories and other silliness. Much fun.

It sounded like you had a great weekend, the Karen(2) situation nonwithstanding.

OK, lunch is over. I'm off!


adopt adapt adept

M

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an awesome letter from your dad. It made me tear up (which we of the Margerum clan do so well), and it made me so happy to be part of a family that hovers - we are always there for each other in spirit, in thought and prayer. I wish I was closer in location, but know that you are in our prayers daily.

Michelle, Mike and Adam