Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

Mister Roger’s Neighborhood is a show I love. His kind and gentle demeanor (which unfortunately rubs some the wrong way) along with the music that’s ever-present in the program have always been appealing to me. One of the songs that I think really says what today is all about is “There Are Many Ways to Say I Love You”. When I was younger I didn’t quite understand how cleaning a room could say I love you but indeed it does...

There Are Many Ways to Say I Love You
By Fred M. Rogers
© 1970

There are many ways to say I love you.
There are many ways to say I care about you.
Many ways, many ways,
Many ways to say I love you.

There's the singing way to say I love you.
There's the singing something someone really likes to hear.
The singing way, the singing way,
The singing way to say I love you.

Cleaning up a room can say I love you.
Hanging up a coat before you're asked to.
Drawing special pictures for the holidays
And making plays.

You'll find many ways to say I love you.
You'll find many ways to understand what love is.
Many ways, many ways,
Many ways to say I love you.

Singing, cleaning, drawing, being understanding,
Love you.


So on this day, the one day of the year set aside specifically to celebrate love, I hope you’re spending time with people dear to you and, for those good people who live far away, that they are especially in your thoughts.

Here’s to a lifetime of love in all its many ways,
Karen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen, dear,
First, many thanks for hosting your second anniversary party, which we were so happy to attend! Hooray for you! Second, thank you for introducing us to the culture that is Roller Derby. We were happy and proud to see sister Janis in action, but it was just as much fun to see the sport through your eyes and to see how proud and supportive you are. Finally, I confess that many years ago I read a Life magazine article about Fred Rogers and as a result made my little sister watch him religiously. So I'm sure she heard this song at least once, and even did a speech once she reached junior high or high school about "the neighborhood." Perhaps introducing her to Mr. Rogers was my way of making up for some of my big brotherly misdeeds. . .
Love,
Paul and Janet

Karen said...

It was such a treat to spend two nights in a row with you, Paul and Janet! Thank you so much for celebrating the anniversary with me and for coming out for the bout- it is such fun to watch! The next one is the first weekend in March: hope to have you join us again! Perhaps we could gather at Cafe Bonxai (sp?!) and introduce Cath to the soup, oh, the soup!

love, Karen