Sunday, November 4, 2007

Back home

On Friday evening we moved Karen from the lovely comforts at Casa Del Ott to her own home. Wendy and Chuck sent her off with a fabulous meal (featuring Chuck's amazing grilling skills) as well as with the tasty leftovers to feed her through the weekend.

Karen slept very well that first night back in her own bed and come morning was surprised to find that she was almost horizontal in the bed (instead of propped to a 45-degree angle as she had been since the hospital). She spent most of the day Saturday unpacking, doing physical therapy, collecting voicemail messages and mail. Dinner was shared with her friends Amy, Tom and Miss Anna who came to visit. Oh, and Karen asked me to cut off the rest of her hair. Strangely, ever since the surgery it has been falling out. I personally think it is from the anesthesia because in the four weeks prior to the surgery without chemo, she has tiny hair stubble regrowing on her head. Regardless the reason for the loss now, she grew tired of picking hair out of her hats and so we trimmed her up. She has a very lovely cranium. You might have to take my word for it, but she does.

Sunday was a day for returning a few of the many phone calls, more physical therapy, napping. Her friend Karen dropped off three delicious homemade soups and Lisa Roettger brought over a wonderful lasagna dinner.

Monday, Karen has a visit planned with Sara and Marcus and then choir rehearsal that evening. She was able to attend rehearsal last week and received a warm reception as well as a little playful chiding. Karen told me that one of the members joked, 'I can't believe you're here so soon after surgery! Now if I want to miss rehearsal because I have a sore throat or something I'll be asking myself 'Are you one week post-surgical? No? Well then, you're healthy enough to go!''

Hopefully there will be visits with Renee and Lori this week too. Karen is not yet allowed to drive, so if you have time during the day, please drop word and perhaps we can arrange for you to meet Karen for a short walk or a coffee so she isn't stuck inside all week!

Karen has asked me to thank everyone again for their kind support and concern. The cards, flowers, food, calls and emails as well as those sending their prayers and positive energy. She would like to contact you all to express her thanks personally, but just hasn't the energy at present. Please know that she will be in touch and post a message here as soon as she is able.

Only good things -
Janis

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! It is so great that you are back home. No matter what is happening, I always find that things are easier when you are in your own environment.

Take it easy! We are thinking of you.

Michelle, Mike and Adam

blanket of love and support said...

A big thank you to Wendy and Chuck for taking such good care of Karen.........I give you an A+ for all that you did.

Karen, I just reread all the comments on this blog and want you to know that you have the most amazing group of up close and personal friends that really watch out for you. And since we can't be there each and every day, I know that your friends will continue to help you out with whatever your needs would be.

I like the fact that you are getting back into the groove with choir practice, exercise, and spending time with friends.

Keep up your great spirit....it is a great healer.

See you on the 13th.

Love, Mom and Dad

PS. I seem to have trouble getting this message into the blog, so I will try Anonymous!

Anonymous said...

Hello Karen,

Thought I was going to get to see you this weekend, but the connection wasn't made. I know you're enormously popular, but I'll be working to hook up in the coming week. In the meantime, I'm watching House and I'm being pleased that you are safe in an afghan and your own skin, enjoying House yourself.

So much love to your laughing loving self...

Joyce

Anonymous said...

Hey, K:

Sorry I've been a bit out of earshot lately. I've had a relapse of that hanging cold-thing(ee) that I had a couple weeks ago, and so I've been trying to lay low and nurse it out. Not too effectively. Typically, it hit me when I was in Fargo last week. Such fun . . .

I did get to see several old friends while in Fargo, including Don & Joy. Everyone asked about you, concerned with how you were doing, and wished you well. I've been neglectful to not pass on their greetings . . . ~sorry~

I did get to downtown Fargo on Thursday. It is so fun to see how that area has rebounded, and is really coming alive. I spent a bit of time at a shop called Zandbros or somesuch, and had such a good time. Lots of very fun stuff there, including t-shirts that say

"I once lived in Fargo."
"Really"


I had to pick one up — too much fun. It was only a Large, though, so I'll probably never be able to wear it. I imagine that this is a warning to all of you out there reading this posting . . . if ya see me with the "usta live in Fargo" t-shirt on, ya might wanna be somewhat picky about how close you sit when we're at lunch. To those of you who AREN'T reading this — well, that's just tough. I've made my confession.



adopt adapt adept

Mark

Anonymous said...

Of course what I MEANT to say was "I'll probably never be able to wash it" . . . which changes the meaning entirely, and makes much more sense of the gibberish that follows that line.

~nevermind~


:-[



adapt adopt adept

Mark

Unknown said...

WOW, Karen, we ARE IMPRESSED with your inner strength and bounce-back determination. Sing a new song unto the Lord!! Do get out as often as possible, but be sure to "recharge your batteries" as often as needed with rest and doing easy things that you like to do. You are an inspiration to us!!! HUGS Kathy and Maury G.

Unknown said...

Hola from Albuquerque! Karen, I've been following your progress and your challenges ever since your dear and amazing (like you, of course!) sister sent me a link to this blog. I'm really moved by your strength and courage, as well as the way you have been supported through this by your family and friends. I often think back to the crazy party I held for my brother and the way you stepped in and helped with dishes, etc. - just to make sure things went smoothly. Thank you again and again. I couldn't have hosted the party without your help - and Janis's help! Sure, it was just a party - but I hadn't seen you in years, since our Fargo days, and you just stepped right up, showing a similar genorosity and kindness that I see in your sister. Hmmm - sisters. Aren't they grand! I hope you are feeling better each day and if you feel the need for some Southwest relaxation time, feel free to visit anytime. The Littlefields will welcome you with open arms. : ) Yep! New Mexico is an incredibly healing place. In the words of one of my favorite NM poets, Jim Sagel: "Once you have known this land, you will always turn back. Like the exiled lover who could sense his lover combing her hair from a thousand miles away, you will always hear the drum pounding in your pulse, the Llorana weeping in your inner ear, the sand cranes flapping their wings alongside the river in your blood. Once you have taken the unexpected turn, you will never again pass without caring." Much love to you, dear Karen. Peace, annie jane

Unknown said...

Hello Karen dear--
I suffered a slip of the tongue today in chem class,and thought that you might enjoy it.

I was attempting to get the class to quiet down, so I said "pooples, quiet down!" I really meant pupils, didn't I? Or did I mean people? Or was it poopies? Well, just call that a Freudian slip.
I am pretty good at combining 2 words, without even thinking!! What a talent!

We hope that you are having lots of laughs. We keep asking for inner strength each day for you! We are backing you. Every day.
Kathy & Maury