Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Hair today, gone tomorrow...

On our way to the second chemo treatment last Monday I ran my hand through my newly cut short hair (thank you for recommending that, Maria!) and out came a small clump of hairs. Oh dear, I said, this can't be a good sign for keeping the hair.

It doesn't hurt when it comes out and that is actually odd since usually it would. I wondered if this was going to happen when after the first treatment my head got really hot and felt a little blistery. Go to it, Piranhas, I say. Take all the hair you want- just take the tumor with it when you go!

Dad took a picture later that Monday afternoon and thank goodness he did because on Tuesday a lot was left behind in the shower. On Wednesday Jan and I pulled much of it out that morning becuase it was everywhere I didn't want it to be: my hands, my shoulders, the tub. Oh, the tub. Through the early part of the weekend I thought I looked like Lidia from "Lidia's Italian Kitchen" on PBS but that is not the case this week as I am down to a smattering of hairs.

And I'm not quite ready to give up on them yet. Having had hair my whole life, taking a couple days to get used to having none is just fine. I have begun to understand why fellows with the single long hairs choose to hang on to them with dear life: once they're gone, they're gone.

When I am ready to remove what little remains I am going to take my friend Tom up on his offer to shave me 'ead right clean outside on their beautiful new deck in St. Louis Park. He's promised not to employ the "FlowBee" but just the regular trimmers he uses himself. We'll keep you posted with photos... if I can get that figured out.

6 comments:

Chuck & Wendy said...

Hi Karen-

I am in Wausau working away and thinking of you this am. Your humor is so refreshing and I am reminded of how healing laughter is....the best medicine they say...and I believe it!! You go girlfriend and laugh away the day! Congrats on your huge accomplishments at work...many would have buckled under the strain but you have forged ahead with vim and vigor and sold two huge accounts during this period!!! Three cheers for you from all the cheese heads! and p.s. the Oreo Cows say "Go For It"

Wendy

blanket of love and support said...

Have just read Blanket of love blog......what a great undertaking by both of you to share this experience with so many. It is an honor to be part of your "posse".

Anonymous said...

You GO girl!

I say: "Shave it off! Shave it off!"

Oh, wait — I was going to follow "The Rule of One" wasn't I? Damn! Now what's a boy to do?

"Dear Mr. Mrs. Kelley: You might not remember me, but I know your daughter Karen from . . ."

:-)


Mark

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen! Sucha warrior you are.

Anonymous said...

Eloquent as usual Karen!
What a nice way to journal and share your journey with everyone. It will be a treasure to look back on at the end of this journey and cherish the love of your family and friends.
You're a fighter and you have a great crew behind you, your family, network of friends and the expert staff at the Mayo. There is great comfort in knowing your team of Dr. will aggressively treat this to insure that you will continue to be a part of all our families and that we can be a part of yours for many, many years.
GO TEAM KAREN!!!

Unknown said...

Hey, St Pauli Girl. We in St Louis Park are thinking of you! Thanks to you and Janis for putting together this terrific site to help keep all of us updated, especially those of us who live so far away (we must be at least 15 miles down the road!). Keep up your amazing ways ...

Love, Lis