Friday, August 17, 2007

The incredible shrinking spot!

Well the good news continues to be that the lump is shrinking! My dear friend Char has been calling it 'The Incredible Shrinking Spot', hence the title for this post. We've just completed treatment number three and found out that I am one of the few people for whom chemo works so quickly. It's amazing: my doctors are feeling it's now more of a thickening than a lump! Go to it you sassy piranhas, I say!

And speaking of piranhas, thank you to my dear friends who are helping me cheer on those hard working fish with all their beautiful gifts! Joe, I was so touched by your homer hanky from the Twins, who are known as Piranhas because of their tenacity and bite. And to Amy and Tom who found a sweat suit that has piranhas silk screened on the left side! Eat 'em up, I say! And take the uninvited dinner guest with you when you leave!

The side effects from the treatments remain quite manageable. And no, Mark, there has been no puking. Not now, not ever. I decided that very first night after the first treatment that I would not get sick and I haven't. Now that didn't stop my very pragmatic side from suggesting that having a bucket by the bed would sure be a comfort should I need it in the middle of the night and, only as as way to quiet this side of me- one that at times feels incongruous with the positive side- did I put the bucket by the bed --- and didn't use it.

This time around the nausea and heartburn have been a little more prevalent but I'm working with my acupuncturist to assist with the nausea and heat- wow do I feel toasty sometimes!- and I'm taking the extra anti-nausea medication when I need to. There is no buy-back or rebate program for unused pills at the end of all of this so I'm using them.

And thank you to those fine folks at Prilosec OTC for making such a good and useful product. Having never had heartburn before I have much sympathy to those who have dealt with it in their lifetime. It's no wonder you think you're having a heart attack because it feels like you're having a heart attack and/or a core sample of your body removed. Yipes!

Janis and I went last night to Merle Norman and bought a beautiful new hairdo for me. It's the perfect style for me: shake and go! And it's got more styling and volume than I could or would ever achieve with my own hair. I previewed the new 'do tonight and it was met with many accolades.I even got a "hello" from the doorman! What do you know?!

Thanks to everyone who continues to send their love and support in all the many ways you do. It's almost unbelieveable to me that so much progress is possible so quickly but I do believe that the combination of your support and love and my stregth and positive attitude are what are pulling me ahead. That and the two orders of nuns in South Dakota and Minnesota that are praying for me- thanks to my dear freind Mary! It never hurts to have nuns on your side...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Karen,
this is Janis's friend Smita. I read your blogs for the first time today. Its wonderful to see you so positive and active.

I am always going to Target, Cub, Byerly's, Borders, Sam's Club etc. and would be more than happy to do any small errands for you! I also can help you with any snack packs you want! If you like wine, and are allowed to have some/ can handle it, i can bring some by - some of my favorites! or if you ever just want to chat, i am there! Janis and I have enjoyed some good long chatty evenings!

My biggest joy of sharing right now is my 4 month old son's pictures! if you like baby pics, I can email you some :)

any impromptu thoughts, chores or anything else a car and I can do, let me know! You are doing super, and you look beautiful in your headscarf! My mohter went through this 3 years ago, and I was so far away from her and could not do much to help! But being right here to be able to help you, I would really like to do anything i can!

Big Hug,
Smita
smitapte@mail2world.com

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!!! What great news! We are so happy for you! Also glad that the side effects are so minimal. That makes things easier. Take care, enjoy the Lorna Doones, and keep up the positive attitude.

Anonymous said...

To My Cosmic Twin, Ode to A Spot:

Karen once found a nasty old spot
And all of us yelled "Surely not!"
She sent in piranhas
Saying, "eat all ya wannas!"
And now spot has shrunk like it ought.

or, if you like:

Bless me! My heart was once sinking.
But now I hear the spot has been shrinking.
The piranhas, they fought
and devoured the spot
and Karen's soon back in the pinking!

Or, (I'm on a roll, don't stop me now)

See spot.
See spot shrink.
Spot can shrink.
Shrink, spot, shrink!

I hope I made you laugh, cosmic twin, and I hope your birthday was celebrated with much hoo-hah and mounds of cake. Me? I opted for home-made carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Doug and I finished it tonight. Ah, but we are pigs.

It's such good news to hear that things are going well. Scritch those hard-workin' piranhas (am I spelling that right?!) behind their little gills. I've been reading the postings, but I confess I have been a lurker until Janis' entry shamed me into interacting.

Love and all good things to you! Go Team Piranha!

Anonymous said...

That totally rocks!