Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Sleep... you can do it laying down

Last night sleep, that elusive muse, visited me! I started the night in the chair (for the heartburn) and ended it in my bed--- lying down, not on the pile of pillows I've been propped up on--- and what a treat that was!

I'm on the road to myself, it being Wednesday before a treatment, and am looking forward to having some energy back. This session had the addition of wobbly legs over the weekend which I've never experienced before in real life or chemo life- and it is really another life. It's odd to find yourself unsure of your legs when you have for your whole life been able to rely on them.

Another thing that's happening with chemo life is I'm learning to let things go mostly because I have to: I can't remember things. Now for a gal who has always been on top of keeping track that's a bit disconcerting. So, for the short term when I look at you as if I have no clue what you're talking about, help refresh my memory. Or, when I go to introduce a dear freind and cannot pull your name up from the foggy data base (so sorry Joyce!), please know that I know your name, just not right that second. It's all temporary, my memory, that is!

A hearty thank you to Ms. Kimbel J. Westerson for her poetic stylings--- which I can't locate right now on the site (a call has been placed to the Technical Services Department). All three poems brought much laughter! It was so good to hear from you!

I would like to include a little ditty that Janis and I had come up with a few days ago when the uninvited dinner guest was making its presence known: That's right! It hurts to die when you are cells that won't comply. It's hardly poetic and there isn't much style to it (for that we defer to Ms. Westerson) but that's what we came up with.

Hope you, dear friends and family, are having a great day! (Or did I say that already...?)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

As one who forgets names even without chemo brain, I whole-heartedly say don-worry-about-it. Moreover, let's pass along some clever tricks from those of us who have had to compensate for the forget for a while -- we being those whose heads are too much in the clouds (you know who you are). Here are just a few:
1) If it's a name, get around saying the name by saying something that is just as specific and endearing; e.g., "And this girl here just made a kite out of duct tape and gift wrap ribbon! Isn't that something?
2) Or play busy... e.g., "I'll let you two wonderful people introduce yourselves. I absolutely must go help that child pull his hand out of the dog's mouth (or choose other orifice.)
3) If it's a mathematical equation -- well, what are you doing doing math in public anyway? It's just fool-hearty!

Joyce

Anonymous said...

Kimbel's bits are in the comments for "The incredible shrinking spot!" post from a couple days ago (hmmmm, there aren't any dates on here — just times).

Anyway, check it out. It is WAY fun.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Mike's Mom called it chemo brain. The good news is you now have a valid reason for forgetting something or someone you want to forget. Or, when you get old, you don't have senility - it's chem brain!

Take care and thanks for keeping us updated.

Anonymous said...

I was going to tell her that the memory lapses were because she's now officially in her forties, but I forgot to.

Choralgrrl said...

Hey, Karen!

This blog is so cool! You go, girl. GRrrrrrrrrrrr.

See you at choir!

:-) Jodi

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen,
Ok…at the urging of that fabulous guest post, it’s time for me to stop lurking and jump into the blog…it is my first time, please be gentle. New technology and an old lady is a scary combination.

It was great to see you last night….your chemo brain hasn’t affected your eye for style. I’d say that your positive attitude, sense of humor and zest for life is giving those piranhas plenty of energy to do their job. And anytime you need a pep talk…we’re here to listen

You go girl…

Wow…this didn’t hurt at all....well maybe just a little, but that's another story.

Anonymous said...

Hey there Karen and Happy Belated Birthday!! I think I have sorted this blogger/comment thing out now, but please bear with me. I don't know what happened to my previous message - I didn't write it on this type of field, so I'm not sure where it's gone or what I did. I'm entering myself as anonymous because I don't think I have the info for the other options, not to mention my embarrassment at clearly being firmly stuck in the mid 20th century (not that I was born mid-century, I hasten to add). Anyway, I will fess up at the end of my blahhhg.

So pleased to hear how well you've been coping with everything that's been thrown at you. This website is a wonderful idea and an easy way to keep everyone informed. Many thanks to your sister and others for setting it up.

I don't know if this is the forum to bore you with the mundanities of life - didn't I read in here somewhere that you didn't necessarily always want to talk about cancer? - if so, perhaps boring the cancer cells to death might be worth a try.

Our latest drama is that someone - we believe a child - has 'hacked' into Madeley's msn account, changed her password and has been posing as her on msn messenger. Nice, eh? Of the three of us here, the last person we thought would have this potential problem was the 10 year old. Anyway, it's almost sorted - I've filed a police report (they don't call me Overreactor Mother for nothing), notified msn (who seem to finally be pulling their finger out - say it with a British accent and it makes more sense), and most effectively, I've put Computer-Man Jeff on the case.

I'll stop here because, well, that's almost the end of that story so far, but also, I'm not sure this blogg space is for this sort of idle chit-chat.

Just know, Karen, that you are in our thoughts. Wishing you all the best.

Love, Nesba, Steve and Madeley

blanket of love and support said...

Dad and I really enjoyed the birthday party.......you have great friends in Wendy and Chuck who opened their home for the celebration and we enjoyed meeting many others. It was a positive night and you are such a beautiful, positive, energetic, caring woman..........keep up the great effort and this disease can be destroyed.

Thank you to Janis for all her work in creating this BLOG and all the research she has done. What a wonderful gift she has given you.

Love, Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

As Shirley said, it is time to jump in with both feet and stop lurking as I have done with too many others.

Karen...we just want to let you know we are thinking of you in our prayers daily...you are a most amazing individual with your attitude and outlook on life!!!

You have a wonderful network of family and friends...what more could you ask for?

Our families best to you!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen (and Janis)
We just finished our 3rd day of school today, and I got a good chuckle from this story. I hope that you also get a giggle.

A little boy comes home from his first day of school and his mother asks, "what did you learn in school today?" His answer was "Not enough; I have to go back tomorrow!"

We are thinking about you each day, and a big hug is sent your way.

Kathy and Maury (godparents)