Friday, October 12, 2007

It's about faith

As you may have inferred from the last post which included some of the beautiful art peppered throughout the Mayo buildings, we met with our beloved surgeon Dr. Boughey, pictured to the left, on Thursday afternoon to discuss the surgery that has now been scheduled for Monday October 22nd. We have such confidence in her and know that the surgery will go beautifully.

While it is true that the incredible shrinking spot was going to be removed eventually the plan was to complete the chemo sessions first. My oncologist Dr. P is concerned about the long-term effects of the neuropathy, numbness and tingling that effects the nerve endings, in my fingers and toes. In a pin test she did to check the level of sensitivity I didn't do as well as she would've liked. We discussed the options and decided to schedule the surgery for next Monday down at the Methodist Hospital in Rochester which is part of the Mayo system. It is an out-patient surgery and we will stay there that night and coming back later on Tuesday.

This is certainly one way to get a break from chemo for a while... hmmm, wait a minute- surgery?! Let me rethink this plan! But it will allow my feet and hands to regain feeling, let me get my strength back for the final sessions of chemo and provide some time to catch up on all those PBS shows I've taped over the last six months but haven't had time to watch. With another pledge drive around the corner I need to open up some more tape space...

The tentative plan going forward is that once I've recovered from surgery (three weeks) I'll resume chemo but at a lower dose for a longer time (six weeks of weekly sessions) with the radiation following (six weeks of daily doses M-F). This change in plans does lengthen the time for treatment but it's just a short term addition to the overall long term positive outcome. It's a plan we all feel very good about.

I will say that I have been none too thrilled about having to have surgery and really don't like the thought of being radiated- who would?! (It's not done to vegetables, milk or meat without some uproar!) But the thing with this darn cancer is that once your plan has been set you can't get any changes without huge penalty fees and paperwork galore. So, as much as I've been feeling that I don't want either surgery or radiation I will stick to the plan. And as long as I have to have surgery having Dr. B lead the team gives me great comfort.

Here is where faith comes in, not that it hasn't been a part of this process all along but it has been one of the more challenging pieces for me in the fatigued-state-of-late. I have assured Dr. B that there is no cancer left, that in the lumpectomy she will remove that darn breast cancer marker which marks where the cancer was along with some sacrificial cells and the sentinel nodes- that is all.

The doubt that arises in my brain when it's tired and worn out is what's hard to deal with. It's easy to be positive when you're well rested. And to that end I would like to thank my Aunt Verlinda and Uncle Rich for sending such a beautiful and uncannily well-timed card that I received Saturday. The quote is from Hebrews 11:1 and reads: 'What is faith? It is the confident assurance that something we want is going to happen. It is the certainty that what we hope for is waiting for us, even though we cannot see it up ahead.'

It's the 'cannot see it up ahead' part that's been tripping me up these last days but as I get farther from the last chemo session my strength and energy are returning. It's such a boost to see how quickly that happens and that just reinforces to me that I am strong and healthy.

For those of you tracking the progress of the 'ultimate in comb-overs', news on the northern front is the hair is getting thinner (how is that even possible?!) In these last five days I've had a profusion of hairs come out. Now, keep in mind there was not a profusion to start with but comparison to what remains it's still substantial.

In light of this recent exodus I may just shave my head for Halloween and be done with it. My only concern is that those few hairs do provide some R-value, however scant, and with the cold winter winds right around the corner keeping the remaining few hairs is appealing. Though with the beautiful new winter caps my dear friends Lori, Sandy and Beth have knit for me and with the ever-so-sprightly knit hat my sister had made for me I will be in good stead against those brisk breezes. Thank you to all of you for your thoughtfulness!

Many requests for pictures of the new sassy wig have been elicited from folks outside the metro area, including from those as far away as Blaine, MN which is pretty much on the way to Duluth. The wig really is charming and more styling than I'd ever do on my own. It's so easy to wear- just shake and go- try one and you'll never want to go back to the hassle of having all those hair products cluttering up the bathroom! (Back me up on this, Terry and Dave!) A hearty thank you to my Mom and Dad for making it all possible. So here it is, the state of the hair:

A photo my Dad took of Janis and me on the day my hair started to fall out in the car ride down to treatment number two. At the suggestion of my friend Maria I had just cut my hair short in case it start to come out.





These are photos from my 40th birthday/the wig preview party. Chuck and Wendy hosted the festivities at their beautiful home. They made the party for twenty plus people seem like a little intimate affair. Many thanks to them!


Mom and Dad came up for the party which was lovely. Mom said they were there for the first one and wanted to be there for the fortieth one as well. Having my family and friends around me was such a delight!




Thank you to all of you for your continued support. I have been wrapping your blanket of love and support around me and take such comfort in it. I would welcome your extra support right now and ask for your best thoughts and prayers on Monday morning for the highest and best outcome possible, a beautiful, minimally invasive surgery and a gentle recovery. Thank you!

12 comments:

Anskov said...

Karen:

My folks and I have been praying for you (my dad's a pastor so he has some good connections ;) ) and will continue to do so as you go for surgery. The quote from Hebrews 11 was inspiring to me and a much needed reminder. I tend to lose faith easily concerning matters in my life, but I am so encouraged by your faith and unflappable, positive attitude.

Hugs from Matt

Anonymous said...

Dad and I want you to know that WE LOVE YOU.....(yes, I know that all caps is shouting).......I just want this message to get to Minneapolis.

Love, Mom

Janis said...

I feel like we're in gym class and we're being forced to play a game we don't want to play; but the difference this time is that we don't have to wear the polyester shorts AND WE got to pick our team! I don't think you could have picked better people to play the necessary positions to win this game. They're the best at what they do and what's more, they *only* play to win. Go Team Pirahna!

Anonymous said...

Taped shows... Karen, the Professor Lindley (sp) Mystery shows this month and last were fantastic. Hopefully you can pick those up, lay in satin sheets, and be handed peeled grapes as you change hair styles daily during surgery recovery. My opinion is that you did chemo so well and so productively that the fates are inspiring to move the process along, already. Such a long haul, I know. But still, it will in the end, this run will have been a small percentage of your long and wonderful life. ... And the experience will make you an even deeper and more interesting person. Go fight win!
Joyce Hoelting

Anonymous said...

Dearest Friend.....what a journey you have traveled....and I know each day will be handled with peace and courage....you are an amazing woman and an example beyond compare to your friends and family. You will be close to my heart for the next week.....oh gosh.......forever actually.......you have developed over your life such a strong bridge of friends that this bridge will transport you wherever it is you need to go....to a peaceful place...a place of laughter....or a place where you can just be you. Love you so much! You need not worry dear friend about your path as you will be provided whatever you need...you and I have seen that happen in our loves over the last year.....you will be provided for! I am sure of that!

Much Love,

Wendy

Anonymous said...

Make that Inspector Lindley Mysteries... Ah yes. Professors are academics; Inspectors are policemen and thus are much more likely to be engaged in mysteries.

Such is my life at 10,000 feet. But I'm serious, you'll enjoy this year's installments.

There really is going to be a lot of time to spend in recovery, isn't there? Shall we plan recovery events? DVD sit-ins?

j=

Anonymous said...

Shirl and I had a moment one morning a couple weekends ago that led us to a song from out of our respective pasts. We both decided that the words of that song were particularly apropos you, so here they are . . .


"And when you stop and think about it
You won't believe it's true
That all the love you've been giving
Has all been meant for you."


Question The Moody Blues



We're all pulling for you. Go forth with all confidence . . .



adapt adopt adept



Mark

Anonymous said...

Hello Karen from your relatives in Fargo!!

You finally get to rid yourself of those lousy cells! Remember that we all are pulling for you, and love you for all that you are! I remember as we were taping Lisa's bathroom, prior to putting that bright orange paint in there, how bright and wonderful you always were; you were and are always willing to give a helping hand. Thanks for being you! Let us know when we can come and paint your bathroom an even brighter color, and remind you of the wonderful young lady that you are!!!

Keep your chin up, as we all are praying that the Lord will do as we ask Him--heal! HUGS Aunt Kathy

Anonymous said...

Our beautiful, wonderful friend, Karen, Or as Anna insists we call you, Karen Kelly. She doesn't know many Karens, but she loves the way it sounds together. It's just musical. We SO enjoyed your visit today. What a nice sunny day, and we were so glad you chose to share some of it with us.

After you left I begin to think more about the power of determination. Your ferocious will, along with your ability to laugh, the love of friends and family, modern medicine you get at one of the best hospitals in the world, a smart surgeon who also "gets" you...wow! You've got a team that won't quit until the game winning goal is scored. Oh, geez, did I just use a sports metaphor?

I'm just know Monday's surgery will go well. You're a strong woman whose journey is taking her in a direction no one would ever choose. But…I remember my mom had a bookmark that said something like, "You might wish you could go through a mountain, or around the mountain, but unless you climb the mountain, you'll miss the view from the top. Climb Monday, Climb up a few more mini taxols, Climb the radiation. We’ll all be there to lean on. Early 08, you'll be watching the view from the top.

We love you, Karen, and we're thinking ONLY good thoughts for you this next week.

Amy, Tom & Anna

Anonymous said...

Karen,
It was so good to see you Friday night. I’m sorry you couldn’t have joined us on our road trip to Owatonna. It will be one to laugh about for years to come. I hope the rest of the party was fun. You’ll have to fill us in on what we missed.

After reading Amy's post, I feel like singing "Climb Every Mountain"...just imagine for a moment that I've burst into spontaneous song as I love to do...OK, enough of that. But it is a lovely analogy. You are climbing the mountain of a lifetime, and you have a wonderful team to help you to the top. Embrace the experience and all that you are learning about yourself and life in general. The view from the top will be magnificent. I know you’ll be there soon.

I will be thinking positive thoughts for you on Monday...as I do every day....but especially on Monday. Take care of yourself and I hope to see you soon.

Shirley

Anonymous said...

K:

Hey! Great fun seeing you on Friday night! I'm sorry that we had to skip out on you (and everyone else). You'll please fill us in on what we missed?

OK, so I'm here to send you best wishes on your meeting tomorrow — I know that you're in wonderful, skillful, caring hands, and that they will do their best work in helping you to heal.

I'll see you on the other side . . .




Mark

Anonymous said...

I saw a sign board at a church today. It said "Pray, then make your plans...in pencil." We are thinking of you and hope that you get good news today. You are due for some.

Michelle, Mike and Adam